Monday 13 March 2017

Ultrasociety And Spiral Dynamics

"Spiral Dynamics"
by Don Beck and Christopher Cowan
"Ultrasociety"
by Peter Turchin
I am currently working my way through Peter Turchin's book "Ultrasociety" when I came upon the lower table. It reminded me of the narrative through the spiral in Don Beck and Christopher Cowan's book "Spiral Dynamics", and prompted me to find the source, which is the upper table.

The overlap between the two narratives, in my view, is quite interesting. Both describe the progress of societal development from the foraging band - mainly a family structure - through to a more holistic mega-state structure. These are important points in measuring our progress. We can move both up and down the Spiral, and we can both progress and regress along the polity types.

I like the inclusion of a time frame in Peter Turchin's model. This gives us an idea of the perspective of history to bring to this analysis. I would imagine that the next step will be to examine the path by which society and the economy moves from stage to stage, and to assess how each subsequent stage is reached. I would imagine that a combination of conflict and co-operation will be involved in this.

I just see this as an interesting point of cross-over.

Stephen Aguilar-Millan

© The European Futures Observatory 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment